January 27, 2018

Book Review: One Perfect Word by Debbie Macomber

Instead of doing a book review, I decided to answer some of the questions from the guided questions geared towards a reading group. Please keep in mine this is MY PERSPECTIVE on  the questions being asked.

I consider myself a reading group of me + all my blog readers ok?

Link to the complete list of questions Here

Q. In 1977, the word that kept cropping up for Debbie was the word desire. What does that word conjure up for you? If you could name one desire—a secret dream—for your life, what would it be? (Don’t be afraid to dream big.)

To own/run my own wellness center.

QIn 2004, Debbie was surprised by the word that came to her: surrender. Have you ever been surprised by something God seemed to have in store for you? How hard is it to surrender to His agenda? When we work so diligently to keep control, is it scary to consider surrender? What does it take to get there?

The way I have come to understand surrender is through obedience. I have always wondered, can you obey without surrendering? And how will that look like? 

It's like obeying a set of instructions and completing the task in your own method instead of what the instructions said to do. 

Does the end justify the means if the focus is the end product and not the process?

Where does disobedience fit into this?  I want to get to my goals the way God wants me to, not by my own will, might or ability to hustle +  acrobating my way into it.


QWhen you saw that Debbie picked the word obedience in 1998, what was your reaction? It’s not exactly a motivational word, is it? Debbie says, “We need to recognize that if we ignore His rules, there will be consequences.” Why is obedience so difficult for us, especially when we consider that it will save us untold chaos?

I've always stated that I cannot obey where I lack trust. I think obedience is difficult for me because I like to be in control. HOWEVER, when I'm in an environment where my trust is nurtured and I feel safe, I have no problem obeying or surrendering or submitting. From a Christian perspective obedience is hard because the flesh is weak, the temptations are many and we don't like to make the sacrifices that obedience sometimes calls us to make.

QDuring one of the toughest years in Debbie’s life, her word was brokenness. Look back over your life. Was there a year that seemed to reflect that theme, even if you didn’t intentionally choose it? How did God work through that with you?


My two years of brokenness so far have been 2011 and 2016. One for abruptly relocating to a new city with no job or friends. The second for losing myself in a situation I had no business investing in to begin with. In my case, God is still working on me but I definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel this 2018.
 It's going to be a great year! I can just feel* it .
___________________________________________
If you have any book recommendations for me please don't forget to list them in the comment section. Below I have included a link to some of the books I read recently


No comments:

Post a Comment